Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How can find what files are on my computer...?

I want to find every single file on my computer, and what they are for/about. (downloaded and already there)



I am not one for downloading software/games/videos. I download music, and maybe stuff i think is good at the time. But apart from the Internet and web building tools (notepad and some other bits and bobs). I never actually use the stuff.



I am starting a computer course now (technical stuff/building/repairing). I just want my computer to last a few more months, while i do the course. After that i will upgrade. I just need to free up some space and improve the Comp's performance for that amount of time.



Also, i was told if i add RAM, i may not need to upgrade. Is that right. (i hope to build and repair computers in the future, but will also be doing web design. I have completed that part of the course, but not sure if my comp is up to the job, so don't want to start that yet.) Comp is almost 3 years old. HP - Compaq Pavilion a605x Desktop/PC. I hope this makes sense



Thank you



How can find what files are on my computer...?antivirus protection



Bottle necks in a PC, Hard disc, if it's full, there is no room for virtual memory. It's best to have a gig free at all times. CPU, needs to be faster than 1GHz in this day and age, memory, XP needs a gig to be happy, Vista needs 2gig.



If you want to clear all the stuff off your machine that it is safe to clear off, then go download ccleaner, as that deletes all the rubbish files without risking removing system files.



Also see what programs are running by going to start and run and type in MSCONFIG, this has a ''startup'' tab that lists all the programs that launch at startup. Look them up on google and see what they do, and if you can live without them, turn them off.



How can find what files are on my computer...?computer repair



If you go to a dos prompt and type tree /f, it will display every file on your computer. Use this character %26gt; to pipe it to a file. In other words: tree /f %26gt; c:\files. You can then open it with Notepad. Hope this helps and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment