Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How do I repair my USB drive?

I have a USB drive with all my files and somehow it broke. I put it in my laptop and it didnt stay. When I shake it a piece moves around. What can I do to get all my files back? I saved all my files onto my USB drive before my computer crashed and now this doesnt work...please help!



How do I repair my USB drive?antivirus downloads



Next time backup to a CD or DVD. I do not consider USB and hard drives save permanent backup media.



Some estimates for CD/ DVD life go from 30 to 200 years.



Storing on a second internal or external hard drive is convenient as it allows you immediate access to all your files. Storing on a hard drive is a poor permanent storage option. A disk crash, viruses, and accidental erasures can destroy the data.



For storing on a CD/DVD I recommend you:



1) Use a quality brand. I like Verbatin best, then HP and TDK.



2) Do no use rewritable disks (RW) or dual layer (DL) , their life is much less.



3) Handle the CD/DVD as little as possible and only by outer edge or center hole.



4) Verify that the data has been transferred to the disk and is readable.



5) Make a second backup copy.



6) Place each CD in a case.



7) Store disks vertically



8) Store in a dark area, avoid extremes in temperature and humidity.



9) DVD+R is superior to DVD-R

No comments:

Post a Comment